Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Medical Examination

I thought I will write something about Medical Examination, one has to undergo on various occasions during one's career.
The first one I had to face was in 1963 at the time of joining Service in Ordnance Factories.In those days getting a job was not that difficult. I got mine when I was just 18. I came from a very typical area in Andhra Pradesh--Konaseema. Our area was surrounded by Godavari on three sides and Bay of Bengal on the fourth side (literally an Island). We had to cross the river by Boats( I was always scared of this ). I had my School & College Education in my native place only,--hardly going out into the " Wild Wicked World". So when I when I set " Sail" to join my First ( in fact the only , Job I was ever found fit !!) you can imagine my "emotional & intellectual " levels !!
When I reported with my papers at High Explosives Factory, I was told that my appointment was subject to my Medical Fitness, and they asked me to present myself to Medical Officer.
After waiting for quite some time the Doctor called me in.He was such a huge personality all of 6 feet plus and I looked like a midget.
The drama started.... he asked me to take off my clothes, I obeyed and took off my pant& shirt.No he was not happy and asked me to stand stark naked, now the pulse rate has gone mad.I was just wondering why the Doctor was interested in my hidden "assets " for a job in the Factory !!He was checking with Stethascope in one hand and pulse with the other.
Heart beat & pulse rate had gone haywire. He promptly sentenced me " Medically unfit "
Then it stuck me ---how can I go back to my town and show my face ?. I started crying and the Doctor got very embarassed--- this is the first time he came across a funny character like me !!
I told him my predicament and told him that it was the first time I ever Stripped in Public and that was the reason for the Supersonic Performance of my Pulse & Heart. He was good enough to appreciate & gave me a sedative & checked me during my Semi Conscious state and found me " Fit ". In fact he was not there when I regained conscousness-- I was told by his assistant that "Doctor Saab found you fit and signed the certificate ". I never met him again !!

That was my first " Exposure " !! My eye sight is not exactly anything to boast about !! In subsequent Annual Medical Examination held during next 9 years, they were only cursory--just check whether the Heart is beating and declare fit. So I never had either the need nor occasion to check my eyes.I was always finding it difficult to read the " Censor Certificate" and even the PMT bus Numbers. I was married by that time, so I was pretending that I missed out or something and my poor wife out of Pathi Bhakti was accepting it !!
The Medical Officer in 1973 was a tough guy, I was told by my colleagues that Eye Test also will be done. Now my game will be up !! But I didnot give up !! I went to the Medical Room and mugged up all the alphabets on the Visual Checking Display Board !! So when the Doctor asked me to read I started reeling off all letters. He was very pleased and almost signed the certificate.
Just for confirmation he closed one of my eyes and asked me to read the Fourth Line. I was caught with literally my pants down . I then admitted that "leave alone 4 th line , I cannot read even the first line with my eyes wide open ". He gave me two options, one is to leave the Job voluntarily or get my glasses fitted in a week. I preferred the second option obviously !
When Dr. Masters has checked , he was wondering how a visually impaired person was appointed! My Prescription read -5.5 for both eyes.
The First day I got my glasses it was a great day and everything on the Road was coming at me including the PMT buses !! When I went out in the evening with my wife I was casually mentioning about the lights on the Hill etc.. Wife coolly said that they were there for ages !! I thought it was safe to keep my mouth shut and went for the movie "Ankur"at West End. I made it a point to read everything loud( It was the first time ever I could enjoy a movie) and wife had to tell me " Shut Up".

No comments: