Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Keeping things close to chest

It was in the year 1970--there was only one train from Hyderabad to reach Pune.There used to be 2 Tier Sleeper cum sitting Coach. The ticket holder has invariably go to the upper berth for sleeping and the lower berths are given for sitting. I was travelling from Hyderabad and to keep my possessions (like I card, Ticket, Purse with whatever money you have, which was always meagre !!) safe, I used to keep them in a plastic cover and place the same in between shirt & Banian with the shirt tightly tucked in. It was - I realised later-- a false sense of security !!!.
I was blissfully sleeping and the lower area of the Berth was fully packed .One hardly had any place for a foothold. Still, I had to get down and go to the loo . Forgetting totally that all my "valuables" are there , I pulled up my shirt and the plastic cover has jumped and gone through
the moving train you know from where.... By the time I realised the gravity of the situation, the train has travelled some kilometers . .I lost my entity in a flash. I was left with my suitcase and the dress I was wearing. Tension started building and I was scared of any Person in Black Coat& White Pant assuming that it must be the Ticket Collector & I will be pulled out from the train any time for travelling without ticket. It appeared the train was taking ages to reach Pune.
After reaching Pune it was another adventure to come out of Railway Station from Platform No 6, avoiding all Black Coats...
Moral of the story... Never keep things too close to your chest...

No comments: