Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Maiden Quiz

On Sunday 18 th March, I teamed up with my son Harish to participate in the Quiz on "Indian Cinema". Last year also we participated but failed to qualify. I agreed to accompany Harish, not with much hope ! I dont doubt his capabilities, only I am not sure of myself !
We were the first to reach the Venue, and after waiting for quite some time, people started to trickle in. In fact we were wondering whether the Quiz will ever start !! Anyway the elimination prcess started and to my sweet shock, we qualified !!
Now this is the second time in my whole life of 63 years , to "participate" in something. The last time I ever went on stage was somewhere in 1954. My father was the Head Master of the High School ,I was studying and the Drama Team was obliged to give me a portion in the Drama that was being staged. The portion was that of a Police Inspector who fortunately did not have any dialogues to deliver !! That much for my " On stage Performance " !!!
Now coming to the present--suddenly the Girl who was anchoring , asked Team A (thats us) to introduce ourselves. I took all the courage and did the formality.
Being Team A , we were asked the First Question and started off in style-- with the audience clapping etc..
We answered almost all direct Questions and some " Passed ones", but failed to cash on the Buzzer ones. The reason , I feel is that I could not get the " feel" of the atmosphere !!
When they were flashing theQuestion on the Screen, I was taking some time to read and Harish "controlling" me not to say too loud so that the other team does not overhear, we missed a lot of Sitters.
At the end of it all, we were Runners Up. Not a bad performance for a "Debutant "
Next time I will try to improve upon this and do justice for the faith Harish had in me.

2 comments:

J Ramanand said...

It was a pretty auspicious debut on a quizzing stage :-) (and it turns out to be "Alam Ara" for you too!) A little more luck and you'd have easily won. I always feel they should orally call out the questions on the buzzer rather than show it on screen. There are two things here: some are able to read "smarter" and some, like one team did, buzz -> then read -> then answer. With oral questioning, Quiz host can prevent the unfair adv. by pausing at the point of buzzing.

హరేఫల said...

Thanks for the encouraging comments.
Hope to post more blogs in the days to come...